Thursday, May 10, 2012

Starting small with Picture Frames

I'm not exactly sure how or when I became so intrigued with weathered decor, but something about the look of a shabby furniture 'speaks' to me. As ridiculous as that sounds.  I love how vintage-looking  furniture has the ability to add a certain historical ambiance to a room.  It possesses a certain type of 'character' that ordinary pieces of furniture lack. It's amazing how a non-living, ornate object can project a cozy, old-world feel to a room.

With that being said, one day I decided to challenge myself and create my own shabby collection.  This was a perfect project for me to completely submerge myself into.  It was a creative outlet, and a way to reconnect with my 'pre-mommy' self.  The young professional that had goals, and ambitions.  Not that raising a son makes you forfeit any of those feelings of self-fulfillment; it just becomes compromised.  Motherhood is wonderful and has its own special rewards, but I really needed to do something for myself.  My supportive husband strongly encouraged me to pursue my shabby projects.  He educated me on certain paints, sand paper and other tools of the trade.  He even helped me set up my workspace in our little garage, conveniently situated on our Christmas tree box.  It was cozy, and absolutely perfect.

I decided that the best way to develop my talents would be to start small.  Picture frames would be  the most sensible and inexpensive start.  I found a great pair of 4x6 oak frames at Goodwill for a dollar each.  As soon as I got home I immediately sanded the frames with 100 grit sandpaper.  This took the original clear coat off easily. After sanding the frames I took a damp paper towel and wiped off the excess dust, and let them set overnight.  I was overly eager to break into my sample sized Martha Stewart paints and begin the painting portion.  I selected beautiful coastal hues consisting of blues, greens, turquoise, white and grays.   After I painted the frames I let them sit overnight.  The next morning was like Christmas day; this was my first day of distressing frames!  This was my chance to develop and perfect my technique.  This is when it all began...
 

No comments:

Post a Comment