Friday, May 25, 2012

Coastal Inspired, Charmingly Shabby Accent Table

Before
After
I was able to land this beautiful cherry side table for $20 through a Craigslist ad.  It was love at first sight!  I actually felt a little guilty for only paying twenty dollars for this piece.  As soon as I got it home I already knew that this would look fabulous in a bold turquoise hue.

I took me a couple of days of sanding with 100 grit sand paper to finally get through the finish.  I love the final outcome of sanded cherry wood. Even though the finish was gone it still had a darker almost auburn hue; which makes this wood perfect for distressing.  After you paint and distress a cherry piece, you are able to get different colors to show through (i.e. auburn,  golden light-wood color, in addition to the paint color).  This provides a shabby piece with much more dimension.

Add caption
Even though this table was small, it still took me two coats of Martha Stewart's Araucana Teal to get it properly covered.  I let it dry for a few days, and then started to distress the piece.  I used a 100 grit sand paper for the legs and sides.  I used a finer 220 grit paper for the table top.  The table looked awesome, and oh-so very coastal chic.

No comments:

Post a Comment