Sunday, May 20, 2012

Charmingly Shabby Two-Tier Side Table

Before
After

I found this little, two-tier gem at a local furniture consignment store for $20.  What a steal.  The table was made of pecan wood and both tiers held a marble inset.  I thought that this was an interesting look, and that the marble would play nicely with a distressed body.  The front of the table had horizontal grooves, and the legs were a sphere shape with small vertical grooves. Those subtle details would look great when distressed and add dimension to the piece.

After a week of sanding, and multiple sheets of 100 grit sand paper later the table was finally bare.  I let the table breathe for a couple of days, and then I began painting.  I applied two coats of a lovely light blue-gray hue, Rainwater from Martha Stewart to be specific.  I let the table dry for a few days, and then began to distress the piece.  I used a finer grit sand paper for the surface of the table, and then the 100 grit for the edges. 
I wasn't too thrilled with the final outcome.  A few places on the table appeared to be too distressed.  It looked more of a sloppy-scratched appearance, not an elegantly weathered look.  I decided to take a dry brush and apply a small amount of paint to it.  I dry brushed the heavily sanded areas, and in a few places blotted the wet paint with a rag.  The outcome was phenomenal! The dry brushing technique really evened out the problem areas.  The table looked Charmingly Shabby, and it was the first piece of furniture that I sold!

1 comment: