Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Charmingly Shabby Farmer Style Side Table

Between the start of football season (Go Noles!), intolerable summer heat and my son's blossoming social calendar I have finally found a moment to share the how-to's on my side table.  Thank you for being so patient!

If you recall my initial blog with this table, I sanded the entire piece and then stained the table top a wonderfully rich walnut hue.  After that I painted the rest of the table in Bakery Box White.  I love this white, but unfortunately it wasn't working for this bulky side table. It was way too bright.

 I then decided to take my Martha Stewart Multi-Surface Satin Acrylic Paint in Vanilla Bean and apply it to the legs with a DRY paintbrush. The absolute BEST brown hue to apply for manipulating a weathered look, and by using a dry brush it gives the effect of scratches and general shabby wear-and-tear.  I let the table dry for a day, and then applied another coat of the Bakery Box White.  Once again it looked like this table could glow-in-the-dark.  I found myself sanding the table with a fine-grit sandpaper.  Not to take the paint entirely off, but to try and dull down the white and let the Vanilla Bean pull through.



After Vanilla Bean & Bakery Box White Coat





















After a few days and many paint trials, I finally found my perfect white hue: Martha Stewart's Gull.  This is a warmer white that paired nicely with the walnut-top finish.  After coating the table with the Gull, I still felt that it was just too much white.  The legs of the table are so solid and bulky!  Again I found myself dry-brushing the Vanilla Bean onto the legs, and then wiping the wet paint with a rag.  This gave the table dimension, it broke the Gull up nicely. After I gave the table a few days to dry, I used a fine-grit sand paper to soften up the Vanilla Bean smears.  I still was unsatisfied. 


After Vanilla Bean & 2:1 Gull Mixture
I had an idea to water down the Gull paint.  I did a 2:1 paint to water mixture and applied it to the legs.  This cloudy mixture provided a sheer, cloudy hue to the table.  I immediately wiped down the paint mixture with a rag as soon as I applied it to the legs.  This helped the mixture blend with the Vanilla Bean.  After a couple days of drying, I was finally liking the look to the side table.

After Applying & Wiping Walnut Stain


Of course I could have stopped there, but I decided to try another new application.  I took the walnut stained and applied it to the legs.  I immediately wiped the stain with a rag as soon as I applied it.  By doing so, this takes a majority of the stain off and leaves you with a lighter stain. 

After Applying & Wiping Walnut Stain






















I let the table dry for for a day, and then I decided to apply the 2:1 paint/water mixture on the table again.  I let the table dry for a few more days before I did a final sand.  I used a fine-grit sandpaper for the table top and the legs.  FINALLY.  The table was finished!

 One of the perks of creating shabby pieces is that you can never really mess up a project.  Don't hesitate with trying a new process or application.  Keep in mind that if you are unsatisfied with a color or stain you can always sand and start again!


























No comments:

Post a Comment